Friday, May 27, 2011

Featured Artist:: Melinda Hagman::

I'm so excited to feature Melinda Hagman today on the blog! She is a friend of mine and Jesse's and is super talented. I love her art because it's new and fresh, the idea of doing a painting a week on a theme or topic is so interesting, it's amazing to see what her mind produces. This is definitely a project I enjoy following, I hope you do to. My favorites are Week's 17, 19, & 21. Enjoy.

***


Amber: Why did you decide to do this "flowers" project and how long are you doing it for?

Melinda: I got the idea for the "flowers" project from a friend.  He was writing a short story once a week for the year.  It was the first week of the year and I had just painted one flower painting and the idea hit me.  So, I told my friend that I was going to steal his idea and do a flower painting once a week for the year.  It was exactly what I needed to do.  I had stopped painting after my first child was born almost eight years ago.  For the last 3 years I have been saying, "I should start painting again."  I would do maybe one painting and then that was it.  Now I have made a promise and that I will keep.

I chose only to do "flowers" because I wanted to challenge myself.  It would be easier if I painted whatever I wanted every week; the challenge of making flowers different each week and playing with different styles and just to practice was my goal.

Amber: What or who inspires you?

Melinda: Van Gogh and Picasso (Picasso's blue period) are the two artists that have influenced me most.  I also love Marc Chagall and Egon Schiele.  They all have such a way to convey emotion through their art and that is what attracts me to them.  Music also inspires me, the sadder the better - violins are always good (i.e.. Warren Ellis.) 

Amber: How long have you been into art?

Melinda: My first memory of wanting to be an artist was in junior high.  I had painted a picture of a horse that everyone loved.  I remember clearly one of the teachers telling me I should be an artist.  I believed her.  I took art classes in high school and that's almost all I took in college.  It really took me by surprise to learn you couldn't get a degree with only a bunch of art classes to show for it ;)  Also, my mom was taking art classes while I was growing up and that also influenced me.  She did such nice work, I wanted to too.

Amber: Do you do anything else besides paint?

 Melinda: I pretty much exclusively paint.  I would like to do more sketching and ink work in the near future.  I also love messing around with Photoshop;  I can waste half a day with that program.


 Flowers Week 2

 Flowers Week 6

 Flowers Week 12


Flowers Week 21




[Here is some more art by Melinda]




If you like what you see and want to purchase a piece go here ---->, Melinda's Etsy Shop 
Or if you want to keep up on Melinda's "flowers" project and other art go here ----> Art By Melinda


Love,
Jesse's Girl
xooxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment